mix

mix

Monday, February 22, 2016

Everyones An Expert


I have had many interactions with punters  & listeners in the crowd over the years that think they know what is best. Whilst I'm always open to requests and suggestions I draw the line at when people start being rude and abusive, its usually when they've had that little too much too drink and start telling you how to do your job.

 As a Party DJ you have a wider audience to cater for, as such your music library is more broader and diverse to accommodate your vast listening audience. With a CD & Digital library of over 20,000 songs you will never have enough music especially when you hear this.......



" Call Yourself A DJ ? "

When you don't have the latest Tiga dance track remixed by some obscure german producer or a song that has limited appeal to your audience that you know is a crowd killer then your suddenly a DJ with no street cred. If I was a club DJ I would probably have a more specific dance library because your playing to a crowd that expects that , but as a party DJ you just don't have every song possible at your disposal. Reading the crowd is something a DJ takes seriously , it determines how the night flows. But not all requests are going to clear the dance floor some will steer you in the right direction .

 
" Why Don't You Just Download It ?
 
Because its illegal , especially if your DJ licence comes with limitations and restrictions when it comes to sourcing digital music or format shifting ." Why Don't You Just Download It ? Its the response I get when I don't have a song, they insist I must download it as I will make the place " Go Off ".  Well hypothetically if I could where would I download it ? Where is their an internet or Wi-Fi connection ? If you don't know , don't assume. A DJ laptop isn't just a computer you have at home its a working tool usually loaded with specific software and hooked up to a DJ controller for the DJ to deliver his or hers performance. There's nothing wrong with taking requests but if you attempt pleasing everyone, patrons begin seeing you as a jukebox they don't have to place coins in. Besides losing credibility,  losing your DJ licence would come at a greater cost ...... its not worth it.
 
" NEXT!! ( whilst swiping their hand near their neck)  "
 
Because someone doesn't like the particular track that is playing they feel I should just cut straight into the next song, mind you the dance floor is packed by people enjoying the same song. Usually these people are the ones who will also request a song then when you play it , then they go outside or to the rest rooms then complain they didn't hear their song and if you could " play it again'.

" What Have You Got "

I have over 20,000 songs lets narrow it down !

" Something I Can Dance Too "

That's open to interpretation , lets narrow it down even further.

" I Know The Song ,I Forget The Name, Can I Sing It Too You See If You Know ?"

That doesn't help me , how about you find out what you want and come back to me.




 "Why don't you have an Ipod cable?"



Most people think they can do a better job than you by simply asking to plug their Ipod or Iphone into your mixer. When you politely reply No you don't have a Ipod cable they look at you to as to why you don't have one, actually I use professional equipment so don't carry $3 cables to hook up IPods because if I don't then would I for others ? . It also shows a lack of respect that others would want to hijack your performance for their own ego because they think they can know better.

 
" Your Not A DJ You Don't Have CDJs "
 

Every DJ has their own setup and equipment. There is this stereo typical view that DJ must have decks & turntables to be considered a "real" DJ. With technology evolving some DJs are opting for digital mediums with controllers, launch pads etc to expand their creativity to give you a "performance" and not just playing other peoples songs. Don't be so judgemental  DJs will use what ever they feel comfortable with or  what is necessary to give you an entertaining experience.
 
" I'm a DJ or Musician ........ you should "
 
These people tend to offer you advice because they tell you they are experienced entertainers themselves and offer help . I often hear " I can sing" or " I can rap/ mc " or " I'm a DJ and knows what works here ".
If they were professional as they say they are they wouldn't try and compromise your gig ,by wanting to perform alongside you especially when they are intoxicated. Your having a night of for a reason enjoy it !
 
 
As a DJ and a professional I am being paid to do a job, distractions are apart of what we do but its important to be friendly and respectful, but remain in charge. Be open to playing a request if it feels right as it just might be. Otherwise, be honest and tell people if you think when a song is inappropriate.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment